Grosse Ile Is Filled with the Richness of History
The Grosse Ile Historical Society was organized in 1959 and has, since 1967, operated a museum in the old Michigan Central Railroad depot at the corner of East River Road and Grosse Ile Parkway. With the acquisition of the 1870s Customs House and its removal in 1979 from Macomb Street to a spot just behind the depot, the Society’s meeting and museum facilities were greatly expanded.
The Depot and Customs House are located within the East River
Road National Historic District. St. James Episcopal Church chapel and six old homes north of the
chapel are also included in the district. Michigan Historic Site markers can be seen at various places
on the island. The Grosse Ile Lighthouse, a prominent landmark on the east shore, is under the society's
The Grosse Ile Historical Society is a non-profit corporation governed by an elected board of trustees and run by volunteers.